From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: setuid
Date: Dec 8 1999 10:57PM

Jason Stajich writes:
 > Has anyone had any trouble running scripts and using DBD::Sybase or
 > Sybase::CTlib with setgid or setuid bit set? I need to
 > permit users to access files through a program w/o being able to normally
 > access the files.  I can alway separate my db routines from my file
 > routines to work around this, but I get the following when I have setuid
 > bit set.  Can't debug very well because perl won't allow debug in setuid
 > mode, but it works fine w/o setuid...
 >
 > (solaris2.7, perl 5.00503))
 > SYBASE = /mysybasedir in this instance
 >          using sybase11.5
 >
 > install_driver(Sybase) failed: Can't load
 > '/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/sun4-solaris/auto/DBD/Sybase/Sybase.so'
 > for module DBD::Sybase: ld.so.1: /usr/local/bin/perl: fatal: relocation
 > error: file /mysybasedir/lib/libtcl.so: symbol comn_free:
 > referenced

This looks like a problem loading /usr/lib/libintl.so instead of
$SYBASE/lib/libintl.so.

Do you need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH for your scripts to run?
Alternatively, make a symbolic link in $SYBASE/lib from libintl.so to
libsybintl.so and change the Makefile accordingly, rebuild, and maybe
that'll work better.

(ld.so is notoriously picky when loading shared objects in setuid
mode, and rightly so...)