From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: Unable to use ? placeholders in DBD::Sybase when connecting to MS SQL
Date: Nov 16 1999 3:03PM

Hrvoje Niksic writes:
 > I'm in the process of testing DBD::Sybase, and the ? placeholders
 > don't appear to work for me.  I connect to MS SQL 6.5 using CTlib
 > 11.9.2, Sybperl 2.11, and DBD::Sybase 0.21.  The error message printed
 > is:
 >
 > Panic: dynamic SQL (? placeholders) are not supported by the server you are connecting to at /usr/local/lib/site_perl/i386-linux/DBD/Sybase.pm line 95.

Placeholders are supported at the protocol level. Sybase started
supporting placeholders (aka dynamic SQL in Sybase-talk) with TDS
5.0. The common protocol understood by Sybase and MS-SQL is 4.2, so
you're out of luck.

If I may make a suggestion: use stored procedures instead of using SQL
straight in the perl scripts. The stored procs can be easily tuned,
and give you an additional level of abstraction between the script and
the database, and are pre-compiled (so a little bit faster)