From: "Mcfarlane, Ian" <Ian dot Mcfarlane at gs dot com>
Subject: Problems building Win32 version of sybperl on NT platform
Date: Jan 22 1999 10:33PM

In an attempt to generate the DLL's for this version of Sybperl, I
discovered that that the compilation process defines a macro called scope
which is defined as "pPerl->perl" something.

Unfortunately, the Sybase header files for NT  OpenClient 1110 contain
references to variables named scope. These references are in structure
definitions and the Sybperl compilation process causes these variables to
expand to "pPerl->perl" This then causes the compilation to come to a
screeching halt.

E.g. let's say that the Sybase header file cstypes.h contains a declaration
such as:

	CS_VOID	*scope;

Think about happens if this becomes:

	CS_VOID	*pPerl->perl;

If this isn't invalid C code then I don't know what is.

How has anyone been able to compile with this stuff?

The Sybperl I'm referring to is the one prepared by Michael  Peppler.

Ian McFarlane
Goldman Sachs                               phone  :212-357-1497
10 Hanover Square. 14th Floor        fax       :212-902-1425
New York, NY 10005                       beeper  :917-556-1374
E-Mail:ian.mcfarlane@gs.com