From: Roleigh Martin <rol at uhc dot com>
Subject: Error: HTTPd: malformed header from script problem -- any clues?
Date: Jan 5 1999 10:19PM

Oops--Eudora messed up my prior email message, formatting wise.
I changed my options to be "plain text only" and am resending
the below--sorry.

--Roleigh

Re: Error: HTTPd: malformed header from script problem

Mike Peppler (or others who are familiar with this problem),

Our unix support person has reinstalled Perl5.004, sybperl-2.10
on a AIX (RS/6000 computer -- see version info below).

Your advice to fix the 'bad exec format' worked.  The onion is
getting smaller. Thank you very much for your help.

Now when I execute the following short HTML file and CGI script,
I get this output (HTML and CGI script is in the appendix below):

>which perl
/usr/local/gnu/perl5.004/perl

/usr/local/httpd/cgi-bin/qstar>perl test_install2.cgi

(offline mode: enter name=value pairs on standard input)

[Ctrl-D entered - below stdout appears]

But when I execute the below HTML (same HTML file) online (ie,
the CGI script is executed via HTML-invoking), I get this output
in my browser:

500 Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and
was unable to complete your request. Please contact the server
administrator, nerds@uhc.com and inform them of the time the
error occurred , and anything you might have done that may have
caused the error.

| Error: HTTPd: malformed header from script                       |
| /usr/local/httpd/cgi-bin/qstar/test_install2.cgi                 |
| I believe the problem is that the Unix (AIX RS/6000 server)      |
| chokes on this line:                                             |
|                    |
| Do you have any hunch on what to tell our unix support person?   |

Thanks in advance.

Roleigh Martin

test_install2.html
Test Install2 of CGI

test_install2.cgi
#!/usr/local/gnu/perl5.004/perl -w

use strict;
use Sybase::DBlib;
use CGI ':standard';
my $query = new CGI;
my $pwd='qstrdbo';
my $database='QSTRDEV';
my $user='qstrdbo';
my $server='BISDEV11';
my $dbh = new Sybase::DBlib $user, $pwd, $server;
$dbh->dbuse($database);

print $query->header;
print $query->start_html('Sysusers Query');
print $query->end_html;

$dbh->dbclose;
exit(0);

AIX Version information:
AIX Version 3
(C) Copyrights by IBM and by others 1982, 1993.

>uname -a
AIX polaris 1 4 000189097000

Roleigh Martin, Rt. MN012-N188       Opinions are mine not UHC  |
Software Engineer Consultant         AT&T voice:  (612) 992-4592|
UHC, HealthCare System Services      AT&T vmail:  (612) 992-4592|
5901 Lincoln Drive                   FAX:         (612) 992-7021|
Edina MN 55436                       Email:         rol@.uhc.com|
Y2k Page: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/roleigh_martin
    ( easy to remember alias is: http://webalias.com/roleigh )
(A Web Site that focuses on Y2k threat to core infrastructures.)