From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at MBAY dot NET>
Subject: bad exec format with perl5.004 and sybperl-2.10 on AIX (RS/6000) computer, why?
Date: Jan 5 1999 12:29AM

>>>>> "Roleigh" == Roleigh Martin  writes:

Roleigh> Hi, Our unix support person has installed Perl5.004,
Roleigh> sybperl-2.10 on a AIX (RS/6000 computer -- see version info
Roleigh> below) and when I run a simple cgi program in offline mode, I
Roleigh> get the below error messages -- any ideas?

Roleigh> 18:/usr/local/httpd/cgi-bin/qstar>perl test_install2.cgi

Roleigh> Can't load
Roleigh> '/usr/local/gnu/lib/perl5/site_perl/aix/auto/Sybase/DBlib/DBlib.a'
Roleigh> for module Sybase::DBlib: dlopen:
Roleigh> /usr/local/gnu/lib/perl5/site_perl/aix/auto/Sybase/DBlib/DBlib.a:
Roleigh> bad exec format in
Roleigh> /usr/local/gnu/lib/perl5/site_perl/aix/auto/Sybase/DBlib/DBlib.a

This *looks* like it's trying to load a static library at
run-time. Normally you would load a .so (or maybe .sl) file at
run-time.

My guess is that your SA has installed sybperl with static linking,
but didn't install the correct perl binary (when you install with
static linking you create a new perl binary with the new modules
linked in).

My suggestion is to re-install sybperl with dynamic linking, or to
find where the new perl binary is and use that (but dynamic linking is
probably  a better idea all around, as it makes life simpler).