From: "Mark A dot Downing" <mdowning at rdatasys dot com>
Subject: Re: Sybase ASE for Linux
Date: Sep 25 1998 4:28PM

At 02:26 PM 9/24/98 -0700, you wrote:
>According to some discussion in comp.databases.sybase you can use the
>linux "raw devices" (which are really block devices) and things will
>still work reasonably well:

I thought about this approach, and I may still do something like that.

Update, Sybase on Linux works VERY well. However, there are a few problems
still:

I ran my database last night and the performance is quite acceptable. There
are read errors though:

Open Client Message:
Message number: LAYER = (1) ORIGIN = (2) SEVERITY = (2) NUMBER = (63)
Message String: ct_connect(): user api layer: internal Client Library
error: Rea
d from the server has timed out.
pwd: cannot determine current directory!

Open Client Message:
Message number: LAYER = (1) ORIGIN = (2) SEVERITY = (2) NUMBER = (63)
Message String: ct_connect(): user api layer: internal Client Library
error: Rea
d from the server has timed out.
pwd: cannot determine current directory!

Open Client Message:
Message number: LAYER = (1) ORIGIN = (2) SEVERITY = (2) NUMBER = (63)
Message String: ct_connect(): user api layer: internal Client Library
error: Rea
d from the server has timed out.

But now I actually think that this may be related to using older client
libraries on solaris. I do all my front end work on a Sun Sparc5 right now.
If I can get all the kinks worked out, I'll move the front end to linux as
well!

--Mark

-----
Mark A. Downing                       Relational Data Systems
Phone:(714)263-3899 x157         30 Executive Park, Suite 260
Reply to: mdowning@rdatasys.com              Irvine, CA 92714
http://www.rdatasys.com/