From: Curtis Johnson <Curtis dot Johnson at OAG dot STATE dot TX dot US>
Subject: Packed Fields (BCD)
Date: Sep 21 1998 3:42PM

I realize that this question is not exactly specific to sybperl..
but I thought there might be a few people that have run into
this issue on this list...

We have a file that has packed decimal fields (specifically,
Driver License Number) and we need to bcp this or a
modified file into a Sybase table.

It is my understanding that packed decimal is just
binary-coded decimal, with the last 4 bits representing the
sign.  I understand how to read and convert it (on paper...),
but I have some 17 million rows...

Are there any functions (sybase, perl, sybperl) that handle
such conversions for me?  I thought that my best bet would
be to read the file and write a new one (with a PERL script)
that is in standard sybchar data type format...

Any ideas?