From: Jeff Williams <Jeffrey dot L dot Williams at mci dot com>
Subject: Question on Results from a Select
Date: Sep 18 1998 6:12PM

All,

I am just beginning to use SybPerl.  I have successfully connected to my
database.  However, I have a question on testing the results from an "sql (
select...)" style statement.

I have a process that will need to insert values to a table.  However, I
want to check that the value is not in the table first. So I end up with
this:

	$d = new Sybase::DBlib $user, $passwd;

	$d->dbuse ("database");

	$ref = $d->sql("select * from table where column = value");

After properly dereferencing $ref, I want to make sure that it is pointing
to either value or "nothing".  It is the "nothing" part that I am having
trouble with.  I have tried using defined, checking against null, etc but
to no avail.  I have even tried playing with
"$Sybase::DBlib::Att{"dbNullIsUndef"} = FALSE;" but that doesn't work
either.

Am I totally off base or can someone help me with this?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff W.