From: John_Erjavec at cargill dot com
Subject: RE: sybperl for MS Information Server
Date: Sep 17 1998 5:13PM

     As an aside, my system didn't like using the %HTTP_Proxy% variable,
     either, but I got some steps to do this locally from somewhere.
     Anyway, here they are (NOTE: I didn't come up with this, but it _did_
     work for me...):

     1.   Go to www.activestate.com/packages .
     2.   Look at the module list, and find the one you want.
     3.   (Using Tk as an example)
          Type www.activestate.com/packages/Tk.ppd .
          Hit save when prompted, and save the file to a dir called
          packages, somewhere locally.
     4.   Type www.activestate.com/packages/x86/Tk.tar.gz .
          Save the file in a directory called x86 under packages.
     5.   Make sure that the file is still called Tk.tar.gz (Windows likes
          to rename it to Tk_tar.gz).
     6.   Start ppm.pl and type: set repository local c:\packages
          install Tk

     This did the trick for me.  Hope it helps.

     -JEV

Author:  david.cross (david.cross@csfb.com) at mtka-unix-mime
Date:    9/17/98 3:23 AM

It will work thru a firewall. You need to set an environment variable called
%HTTP_Proxy% to be the address of your HTTP Proxy server.

Dave...