From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at MBAY dot NET>
Subject: updating of record
Date: Sep 15 1998 2:13PM

pang khong lin writes:
 > hi all,
 >
 > I am trying to insert a record to a database (Sybase) through a CGI
 > script and i receive a lot of error message concerning error in data
 > type. I managed to play around with the format of the data to 'suit' the
 > data type but still encounter some error message.
 >
 > For exp: Certain field of the record are empty or can be empty and it
 > seem that perl treat an empty field as a char.
 > If anyone has come across these kind of problem, please advise.

You're going to have to be a lot more specific than that if you want
to get a coherent answer.

Please provide some source code (as small as you can make it to still
illustrate the problem) and a typical data set that causes the
problem.

(off hand I would guess that you are placing quotes in the insert()
statement where there shouldn't be any, or vice-versa...)