From: "Wechsler, Steven M" <WechslerSM at bernstein dot com>
Subject: Sybperl on NT
Date: Sep 2 1998 6:42PM

I'm attempting to get Sybperl running on my NT 4.0 system.  I have
ActivePerl build 502 (Perl 5.005_02) running fine.  I attempted to copy the
Sybperl binary from Reinoud Van Leeuwen's home page
(http://www.xs4all.nl/~reinoud/), but when I finally got all the files in
the correct place, my very simple program died with a "Parse Error".  No
further information was given (not even a line number).

I figured then I'd try to build Sybperl from the source code using MS C++
5.0.  When I used NMAKE, I got the following error:

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility   Version 1.62.7022
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1988-1997. All rights reserved.

The name specified is not recognized as an
internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'cd' : return code '0x1'
Stop.

Since I know absolutely nothing about MS C++ (or C++ in general) and it's
been many years since I last played with a Makefile, I have no idea what to
do about this error.

Any suggestions for either of these problems is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve
--
Steven Wechsler/Sybase DBA/Sanford C. Bernstein & Co., Inc.
WechslerSM@bernstein.com