From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at mbay dot net>
Subject: LD_LIBRARY_PATH on Solaris
Date: Aug 27 1998 6:31PM

Why do you need LD_LIBRARY_PATH in the first place?
There is almost NEVER any need to have /usr/lib in LD_LIBRARY_PATH at
all, as that directory is searched anyway by ld.so when it looks for
.so files to load.

As you have realized it is not possible to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH so that
it will take effect for the currently executing program.

My advice is to remove /usr/lib from LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Michael