From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at mbay dot net>
Subject: DBI or Sybperl? Opinions on which to use...
Date: Aug 25 1998 8:44PM

John_Erjavec@CARGILL.COM writes:
 >      Hello all-
 >
 >      In the company I used to work for, we used Sybperl for all our data
 >      crunching, and I was planning on doing most of my stuff here the same
 >      way.  Last week I went to the Perl Conference, and heard more about
 >      DBI and the DBD:: modules.  Question.  Would it be better to use
 >      Sybperl or the DBI/DBD method?  What are the pros and cons?  I am just
 >      starting to migrate work from shell scripting to Perl, so I have the
 >      luxury of not having to worry about old Sybperl code.  thanks for the
 >      info.

Here's my take on the subject...

DBD::Sybase is still in development (going slowly, unfortunately), and
although it offers most of the functionality that the DBI specs
specify it's not complete. Also, as this is newer code, there may be
bugs lurking.
Sybase::DBlib and Sybase::CTlib are mature modules that provide a more
flexible access to Sybase dataservers.

The advantage of DBI is that it is database independant (at least at
the perl level - the SQL you write may still be database specific).
The advantage of the Sybase:: modules (aka sybperl) is that you have
better control over what the script does because the API is based on
the Sybase API directly.