From: Mihai Ibanescu <misa at dntis dot ro>
Subject: Re: sybperl and RedHat 5.1 (again)
Date: Aug 20 1998 2:49PM

On Thu, 20 Aug 1998, Michael Peppler wrote:

> Mihai Ibanescu writes:
>  > On Thu, 20 Aug 1998, Michael Peppler wrote:
>  >
>  > > Mihai Ibanescu writes:
>  > >  > > That symbol lives in libinsck.so. So maybe you need to add that
>  > >  > > library to your link line?
>  > >  >
>  > >  > 	Ok, I did it. Stupid me. It compiles, but segfaults.. Have no idea
>  > >  > why.
>  > >
>  > > Me neither, unfortunately. Or rather I think I saw a message on the
>  > > sybperl mailing list that libtermcap is the culprit, and that you need
>  > > to downgrade libtermcap to the version shipped with 5.0 to make things
>  > > work.
>  >
>  > 	Thank you very much, I've sent the message on sybperl-l... :-)
>  > 	Yes, that's true. In order to make sybperl work, you have to
>  > downgrade libtermcap. But the CGI sybperl scripts still segfault. So do
>  > the sample examples taken from the ctlib tarball. Strange.
>  > 	gdb shows a SIGSEGV in np_init(). This (internal?) function is
>  > called somehow by ct_init(), but I have no idea what it does.
>
> It's something to do with the fork()/exec() code in Apache. The same
> problem occurs when you try to run sybperl scripts from a zsh command
> line, but from bash it works fine. I don't know what the problem is
> (apart from the fact that the Sybase libs are out of date!).
>
>  > 	Also, do you know why sybperl is looking for a file called
>  > $SYBASE/install/sybnet.cfg? What is supposed to be in that file?
>
> No, I don't know anything about that.

	All right, let's see whst this FreeTDS is about... I know about it
for a couple of months but had no time to look at it. Basically it's an
Open Client, but a free one, with sources laying around on the Net. I have
the archive, I have the link but the site seems to be down:

http://umcc.umcc.umich.edu/~camber/freetds

Good luck!

						Mihai

	Mihai Ibanescu			Dynamic Network Technologies
http://sysadm.dntis.ro/~misa	      Moara de Foc 35, et. 7, 6600 Iasi
	misa@dntis.ro			    tel. +40-32-252936