From: Mihai Ibanescu <misa at dntis dot ro>
Subject: RE: RedHat 5.1 users -- good news
Date: Aug 20 1998 9:01AM

On Wed, 19 Aug 1998 nate@webdesigngroup.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> That is good news indeed.  Do you know if it fixes the problems with running
> sybperl scripts as cgi programs (e.g with Apache) as well?  I had to
> downgrade a couple of systems to 4.2 because of that and would love to run
> the newer Red Hat distributions.

	Unfortunately, no, it does not fix it. But this one is really
strange. I think it's been discussed on this list a while ago -- saw it in
the archives.
	By the way, setting the environment is tricky, I tried to create a
sybase user pointing to sybase's home (/usr/local/sybase), but it
hopelessly failed.
	When trying to use Sybase::CTlib, the cgi script stops, and I was
unable to make it print an error message. The cgi started from the command
line worked.
	But this is another one:

###### BEGIN
#!/usr/bin/perl

print "Content-type: text/plain\n\n";

print "1\n";

print `/home/httpd/cgi-bin/m2.cgi "select 1+5"`;

	m2.cgi is a sybperl script that executes $ARGV[0] (this is the way
I access my sql server, since I could not find SQSH anywhere on the net...
www.voicenet.com is unavailable).

	Guess what? It works. Still as user nobody.
	So, why the hell apache does not run sybperl cgi scripts?

						Mihai

	Mihai Ibanescu			Dynamic Network Technologies
http://sysadm.dntis.ro/~misa	      Moara de Foc 35, et. 7, 6600 Iasi
	misa@dntis.ro			    tel. +40-32-252936