From: Tim_Green at mercer dot com
Subject: Re: Sybperl and fork ()
Date: Aug 19 1998 10:33PM

     I've had a child process use a connection originally opened by the
     parent with great success, though others have claimed bad things can
     happen.  On our platform things work fine (perl5.003, sybperl 2.05,
     HPUX 10.20), except for some memory leaks which I don't believe are
     related to the forked processes at all.  We've been in production with
     a system that does this since March, 1997, with hundreds, maybe even
     thousands, of child processes spawned a day.

     In our situation we _are_ careful that the parent and child never
     attempt to use the connection at the same time which I think has
     caused some people grief.

     If anyone else can comment about why others have found such problems
     with this I'd like to know too.

     Tim