From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at MBAY dot NET>
Subject: Re: CGI with Apache and Sybperl on Red Hat 5.0/5.1
Date: Jun 9 1998 4:59PM

Leigh Moncher writes:

[ try to fix your mail reader to insert proper carriage returns... ]

 > Nope this is a Sybperl problem (or at least a sybperl with CGI problem). I've
 > duplicated the issue under Redhat 5.0. Here's the debug output: [root@gromit

 > The context allocation routine failed when it
 > tried to load localization files!!One or more following problems may caused
 > the failure
 > Cannot access the sybase home directory, please check
 > environment variable SYBASE or ~sybaseSybase::CTlib initialize:
 > cs_ctx_alloc() failed at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/Sybase/CTlib.pm
 > line

OK - now we have a clue. cs_ctx_alloc() failed, because $ENV{SYBASE}
seems to be wrong, or can't be interpreted correctly. This could be a
problem inside glibc somewhere, or really in the
environment. Sybase::CTlib needs $ENV{SYBASE} set to where the Sybase
libraries are installed. It needs access to the locale files in
particular.

This could also be a stupid permission problem where httpd runs as a
user that does not have read-access to the Sybase home directoy....