From: nathan at webdesigngroup dot com
Subject: CGI with Apache and Sybperl on Red Hat 5.0/5.1
Date: Jun 8 1998 4:54PM

Hi,

I have built sybperl successfully on a Redhat 5.0 and 5.1 machine, but have
encountered the same problem using it with Apache in both cases. Here are
the specifics:

- perl 5.004_04
- sybperl 2.09_04
- dynamically linked ctlib distribution
- Apache 1.2.6 and 1.3.0

Although building sybperl statically failed in every case that I tried,
building it dynamically was successful in that I could run scripts from the
command line without any problem.  However, when I tried to get CGI scripts
with Apache to run, they fail with a server error every time.  The error log
shows the generic 'premature end of script headers' error.  I don't think
that it is an environment variable problem or a problem with the interfaces
file.  I've set the SYBASE environment var. explicitly with the SetEnv
directive, I've tried using the more verbose error logging that Apache 1.3.0
provides, but it gives me nothing more helpful than the above error message.
The interfaces file that I'm using works fine with scripts run from the
command line, and with other Red Hat machines running 4.2. I'm thinking that
it is some sort of incompatibility between Apache and sybperl resulting from
the new glibc that Red Hat 5+ uses, but that is just a guess.

If anyone out there has any suggestions (other than downgrading to 4.2),
they would be greatly appreciated.  I will downgrade as a last resort, but
if anyone has had success with RedHat 5.x, Sybperl and any web server (not
just Apache), I'd like to hear about your experiences in order to help
narrow down the source of the problem.

Regards,

Nathan Harper

--