From: Tim_Green at mercer dot com
Subject: RE: out of sync message
Date: Jun 4 1998 10:14PM

Reading messages about problems using Sybase sessions across forked processes
really makes me nervous, and this subject tends to come up quite a bit.  I've
never run into a problem doing this and know that it's not because of any skill
on my part.

A critical part of our system was rewritten in Sybperl about 18 months ago, and
it relies heavily on a parent process establishing a connection to the server
and then handing it over to a spawned child process.  It has worked flawlessly
in production for over a year.

We're running on HP-UX 10.20, Sybase 11.0.2, Open Client 10.0.4, perl 5.003 and
Sybperl 2.05.

Is there anyone who's been following this thread (or the others that have been
discussed about forked processes and Sybperl) who can explain what problems
there are with this approach?  Are there specific things that you can't do
within the parent or the child process that cause Sybase libs to complain?  I'd
just like to know what I've done (or not done) to avoid the multitude of
problems I've heard others run across.

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than smart!

Tim Green                                           Tim_Green@mercer.com
Administrative Solutions Group
An ADP/Mercer Alliance