From: Tom Poindexter <poindexter dot tom at tci dot com>
Subject: Re: cgi perl speed.
Date: Jun 5 1998 2:46AM

Adding to "perl per se is probably not the problem"

I've been using FastCGI with good results on Unix, Apache, (and Sybtcl/Oratcl
of course!)  FastCGI is a nice solution.  You can usually convert your existing
cgi code to use FastCGI with little trouble.  It usually involves wrapping
up your code into a big while loop.  Each FastCGI process runs in its own
process space, and talks to the web server via sockets.  FastCGI processes
start up once, wait for a connection, process, then wait again.  This
allows you to also make your DB connections ahead of time.

Alas, most FastCGI development has been on Unix /w Apache.  There has been
some work porting Apache and FastCGI to NT, I don't know the current state
of function/stability.

A commercial FastCGI module (ddl, whatever) exists for IIS on NT, and Netscape
on Unix.  Try

	http://www.fastserv.com/

Prices seem pretty reasonable.  They include FastCGI aware interpreters for
Tcl and Perl on Unix, presumably under NT as well.

For more FastCGI info, see:
 	http://fastcgi.idle.com  (and http://www.fastcgi.com)

--
Tom Poindexter