From: sy50027 at milton dot sbi dot com (Simon Yaminian)
Subject: RE: out of sync message
Date: Jun 4 1998 7:24PM

> From owner-SYBPERL-L@listproc.net Thu Jun  4 15:02:10 1998
> From: Tim Holt
> To: SybPerl Discussion List
> Subject: RE: out of sync message
> Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 11:56:34 -0700
>
> You know, I've fought that same error pair...
>
>    Sybase error: Datastream processing out of sync.
>    Sybase error: DBPROCESS is dead or not enabled.
>
> as well.  I never figured out exactly what was causing the
> problem, but it was centered in some code that was being
> fork'ed off to do an update in the background.  When I
> finally tossed the fork method, the errors went away.
> Don't ask me what fixed what, but the errors went away.
> I've got my Sybperl error traps for our site set to email
> me w/all the error info, perl call dumps, etc. and I was
> getting tired of coming in to find 45 SQL/perl warnings
> waiting for me in the mailbox!
>
> Tim Holt, Rogue Wave Software

Thank you for your insights regarding this problem. As it turns out, I am
also doing forks in the script. I am wondering what other alternatives you
used if any. I am also interested to know if you ever implemented a Control-C
like cancel request for an ongoing Sybperl query or a batch of commands.

Thank You
Simon Yaminian