From: Leigh Moncher <dvor at voicenet dot com>
Subject: RE: Error when checking "if exists"
Date: Jun 1 1998 10:55PM

However more fault tolerant (if you're writing for distribution) is the
update.  All it takes is one missing primary key constraint to really mess
up your day.  (I work in a support department so I've had to deal with it).
At 11:27 AM 6/1/98 +0100, you wrote:
>Its much faster to do an insert, and trap the error return. If the row
exists then do an update. Alternatively if you expect the row to be there
more frequently than not, do the update first, and insert on fail.

>Peter Collard
>Sybase Database Administrator
>0171-410-3863
>"The views expressed in this correspondence are mine and not necessarily
those of Rabobank International"