From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at MBAY dot NET>
Subject: Re: Unix/MS SQL Server connectivity
Date: May 29 1998 10:51PM

Tom Poindexter writes:
 > On Fri, May 29, 1998 at 03:01:48PM -0700, Michael Peppler wrote:
 > > Wechsler, Steven M writes:
 > >  > Greetings:
 > >  >
 > >  > What are you Unix folks who need to access MS SQL servers via Perl doing
 > >  > when you switch over to MS SQL Server 7.0?  According to MS, they are
 > >  > dropping support of DB-Library in v 7.0 (that doesn't necessarily mean
 > >  > that it will disappear; but if any problems come up, you're screwed).
 > >  > As far as I can tell, there is no ODBC Perl module for Unix.
 > >
 > > So MS is not going to support backwards compatibility? Meaning all the
 > > people that have built software using DBlibrary against MS-SQL will
 > > simply have to re-write all their apps?!
 > >
 > > If this is the case then I'm very happy that I've not had to work with
 > > MS-SQL... (maybe I should add 'yet' here!)
 >
 >  (Hey Michael!)
 >
 > As silly as that might seem, that has been the intent of Sybase, Oracle, and
 > Redbrick, too.
 >
 >         Vendor  Versions     Interface Libraries
 > --------------- ------------ --------------------------------------------------
 > 	Sybase: up to 4.9.x  DB-Lib
 > 	        System 10-11 DB-Lib and CT-Lib, with warning that DB-Lib won't
 > 				enhanced or bugs fixed in DB-Lib

Agreed. But you can still use a DBlib 4.0 app and connect to a SQL
Server 11.x server. It will work, although some functionality will be
lost at the server level (no numeric/decimal support, for example).

How many DBlibrary apps are there still out there? Sybase wouldb't get
a way with deciding that SQL Server 11.xyz (or 12.x) will not work at
all with DBlibrary (of course Sybase doesn't have MS's clout :-)

 >       Redbrick: up to 5.x    Sybase's DB-Lib through an open server
 > 		5.0.12       DB-Lib and native ODBC (even on Unix), warning
 > 				that DB-Lib going away
 > 		5.0.15       DB-Lib gone, only ODBC

Meaning that the server was capable of understanding multiple
protocols (TDS for DBlibrary, and something else for the native ODBC
stuff). I don't know if MS-SQL 6.x works the same way. If it does (ie
if the native ODBC works over a different TCP/IP protocol than
DBlibrary) then yes I can see that DBlibrary access could be dropped,
and I can understand the logic (remove the overhead of having two
different protocol decoders in the server).

But I still think that dropping backwards compatibility is a stupid
thing to do...