From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at MBAY dot NET>
Subject: Re: Unix/MS SQL Server connectivity
Date: May 29 1998 10:36PM

Tom Poindexter writes:

 > > >What are you Unix folks who need to access MS SQL servers via Perl doing
 > > >when you switch over to MS SQL Server 7.0?  According to MS, they are
 > > >dropping support of DB-Library in v 7.0 (that doesn't necessarily mean
 > > >that it will disappear; but if any problems come up, you're screwed).
 > > >As far as I can tell, there is no ODBC Perl module for Unix.
 > > >
 > > >Anyone have a solution?
 >

 > Sybase hasn't (officially) supported DB-Lib for a while either.  It hasn't
 > stopped me from using it, especially when I read of all the bug fixes
 > applied to CT-Lib on various releases.

The only problem would be if MS started changing the protocol...

As they're using TDS it's supposed to be backwards compatible, but
with MS you never know...

Of course if that were really true it would mean that anyone deploying
MS-SQL 7.0 would have to deploy new client apps at the same time, or
at least change the ODBC driver for each client machine... I can't
really imagine MS being stupid enough to require such a heavy handed
approach to upgrading teh SQL server...