From: Tom Poindexter <poindexter dot tom at tci dot com>
Subject: Re: Unix/MS SQL Server connectivity
Date: May 29 1998 10:30PM

On Fri, May 29, 1998 at 03:01:48PM -0700, Michael Peppler wrote:
> Wechsler, Steven M writes:
>  > Greetings:
>  >
>  > What are you Unix folks who need to access MS SQL servers via Perl doing
>  > when you switch over to MS SQL Server 7.0?  According to MS, they are
>  > dropping support of DB-Library in v 7.0 (that doesn't necessarily mean
>  > that it will disappear; but if any problems come up, you're screwed).
>  > As far as I can tell, there is no ODBC Perl module for Unix.
>
> So MS is not going to support backwards compatibility? Meaning all the
> people that have built software using DBlibrary against MS-SQL will
> simply have to re-write all their apps?!
>
> If this is the case then I'm very happy that I've not had to work with
> MS-SQL... (maybe I should add 'yet' here!)

 (Hey Michael!)

As silly as that might seem, that has been the intent of Sybase, Oracle, and
Redbrick, too.

        Vendor  Versions     Interface Libraries
--------------- ------------ --------------------------------------------------
	Sybase: up to 4.9.x  DB-Lib
	        System 10-11 DB-Lib and CT-Lib, with warning that DB-Lib won't
				enhanced or bugs fixed in DB-Lib

        Oracle: Version 6    OCI
		Version 7    OCI with some calls deprecated, some pre Version 6
				calls eliminated
		Version 8    "New" OCI, Oracle OCI ver 7 through compatibility,
				some more calls deprecated, some pre Version 7
				calls elimiated

      Redbrick: up to 5.x    Sybase's DB-Lib through an open server
		5.0.12       DB-Lib and native ODBC (even on Unix), warning
				that DB-Lib going away
		5.0.15       DB-Lib gone, only ODBC

Sybase and Oracle does provide backward compatibility for now; Redbrick has
eliminated it's former interface DB-Lib.

--
Tom Poindexter