From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at MBAY dot NET>
Subject: ANNOUNCE: DBD::Sybase 0.08
Date: May 21 1998 12:34AM

I've just uploaded DBD::Sybase to PAUSE. It will become available on a
CPAN site near you in the next day or so. This file is also available
from my web page at http://www.mbay.net/~mpeppler.

New Features:
=============

This version adds support for ANSI style placeholders in where clauses
and in insert/update statements. This allows you to re-execute a
statement with different values without having the server recompile it
each time:

$sth = $dbh->prepare("select foo, bar from my_table where baz = ?");
$sth->execute("frobniz");
while($dat = $sth->fetch) {
# now do the same, but for rows where baz = 'xyzzy'
$sth->execute('xyzzy');
while($dat = $sth->fetch) {

There are limitations however. You can only use this syntax for SQL
statements that return a single result set, and only for WHERE
clauses, the values() list of INSERT statements, and SET clauses of
UPDATE statements. You can't use it to pass parameters to stored
procedures, and you can't use it to define other parts of the SQL
statements (such as a table name, for example).

Bug Fixes:

The error message handling has been improved. All the error messages
that are generated for an $sth->execute() call are concatenated
together, so you will no longer loose error messages if you have
multiple RAISERROR calls in your code, for example. In addition the
error message has been reformatted to fit on a single line, which
should make it easier to use.

Please remember that this is still alpha software. It's probably
buggy, so use with care.