From: "Mark Gendein" <markg at altair dot net>
Subject: RE: Capital letters in Names
Date: May 19 1998 11:55AM

I saw some of the other responses and they will be fine if your table is
small, otherwise the punishment for not using the index will be great.  You
also mention that users are doing these queries.  I might suggest creating a
view for them as they will not be at all familiar with the system functions.

One solution I have used is to create another column (like SearchName), and
maintain it from a trigger.  The trigger is responsible for UPPER casing the
name and copying it to the other column. You can then index the column if
you'd like.

Just some thoughts.

Mark Gendein
Gendein Consulting