From: "Wechsler, Steven M" <WechslerSM at bernstein dot com>
Subject: RE: Capital letters in Names
Date: May 18 1998 8:23PM

in SQL, you can use "select * from tablename where lower(name) like
'name_in_lower_case" or "select * from tablename where upper(name) like
'NAME_IN_UPPER_CASE"

to perform a case-insensitive search.  However, it can be slow, because
it will not be able to use indexes on that column.

You can also change your sort order to be case insensitive (if you're
not SA, you'll have to ask your SA to do it), but then you won't be able
to do case sensitive matches - sort order is a server-level option.

HTH,

Steve
--
Steven Wechsler/Sybase DBA/Sanford C. Bernstein & Co., Inc.
WechslerSM@bernstein.com