From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at MBAY dot NET>
Subject: Sybperl and Open Client version compatibility
Date: May 14 1998 11:29PM

Eddie Cheng writes:
 > Hi All:
 >
 > 	I have two questions and would appreciate any help from this list:
 >
 > (a)  we will need to build a version of sybperl based on Open Client version
 > 10.0.4 (on Solaris and NT).  But current available versions of Open Client
 > are all for 11.x.  Is the sybperl built with 11.x fully compatible with the
 > 10.0.4 Open Client?  If not, where could we get the backward
version?

Sybperl has no OpenClient 11.x dependency that I know of. However, a
*binary* built with OC 11.x will *not* work on a machine where OC 10.x
is installed, because of differences at the OpenClient level (in
particular, OC 11.x needs files under $SYBASE/config/ that don't exist
for OC 10.x

 > (b)  are there any differences in functionality and operation between
 > running Sybase server on Unix platforms and that on NT platform?  If so,
 > where could we find info/documentation? How about Sybperl?

I'm not sure about that. I don't think that there is any difference
for the sybperl part, but there's likely to be differences at the perl
level (no fork() for example).