From: goutam <Goutam dot P at mcdnet dot ems dot vsnl dot net dot in>
Subject: Sybase SQL Anywhere and Perl
Date: Apr 30 1998 12:52PM

Dear All,

 I don't have any idea of Open Server gateway. Is it a free product or
ships with Sybase or so on..
Connecting using the DBI or DBD might require OSG .

I have Sybase Sql Anywhere server on NT 4.0

How about using Perl WinODBC ?
Pls. help...

I have written the following script :

use DBI::Sybase;
BEGIN  {
   $ENV{SYBASE} = "d:\sybase";
  }

#sybase is residing in d directory

my $dbh=connect("dbi:sybase:db_server","dba","sql");

The following error occurs :

Open Client Message :
Message Number : Layer=(1) ORIGIN=(1) SEVERITY=(4) NUMBER=(118)
Message String : it_init():Unable to find file
           D:sybase\locales\english\cp850\ctlib.loc

An Exception occurs & program is terminated.

But I checked up in the directory specified above but I found the file
ctlib.loc..
-----------------------
If I remove the line lines BEGIN {   ...... }
the following error is generated...

Open Client Message :
Message Number : Layer=(5) ORIGIN=(3) SEVERITY=(4) NUMBER=(8)
Message String : ct_connect(): network packet layer:
 internal net library error :
Could not find addressing dictionary

-------------------------
I also used ODBC to connect , the script is as follows

use DBI::W32ODBC;
$dbh=DBI->connect("dbi:Sybase:db_server","dba","sql");

The following error is generated...

Error connecting to dbi:Sybase:db_server;UID=dba;PWD=sql
[911][]"[Microsoft][ODBC Driver manager]
Data Source Name not found and no default driver specified "

Please help me if I can connect to the SQL Anywhere server by any means
& retreive data
to display on the web page..
Alternative is using Java-CGi & JDBC .. but I am not sure how far it
will works..

With Regards
Goutam

Life is an oppurtunity, Take it,
Life is a goal, Acheive it.
P.Goutam
Manipal Control Data Electronic Commerce Ltd.
No 512, 6th Cross,6th Block,
Koramangala,
Bangalore-56
Ph No: 5521250/1