From: David Carter <david at solbors dot no>
Subject: Re: Network error whilst doing 'make test'
Date: Apr 26 1998 4:08AM

Hi,

On Fri, 24 Apr 1998, Hugh Caley wrote:

> Why not try it in the format I sent in?

I did. It didn't work - sorry :-(

> Is the NNNN number the right one? Can you telnet to A.B.C.D port NNNN
> from the linux host?
>
> Michael

Yes, but with a "dead" session, but this gave me an idea. I ran a
portscanner over the machine and it reveled two ports next to each other.
I tried the second one and sqsh worked! However it reported "no language
handler installed".

Now another problem with Sybperl, which may be related to the one above.
"make test", puzzlingly, reports:

t/ctlib.............Identifier
"Sybase::CTlib::max" used only once: possible typo at
.././blib/lib/Sybase/CTlib.pm line 880.
Wrong last error (17001) at t/ctlib.t line 60.

Open Client Message: (In msg_cb)
Message number: LAYER = (1) ORIGIN = (1) SEVERITY = (1) NUMBER = (158)
Message String: ct_fetch(): user api layer: external error: This
routine can be called only if fetchable results are available to be
read.

Open Client Message: (In msg_cb)
Message number: LAYER = (1) ORIGIN = (1) SEVERITY = (1) NUMBER = (155)
Message String: ct_results(): user api layer: external error: This
routine cannot be called when the command structure is idle.
FAILED tests 6-14
        Failed 9/30 tests, 70.00% okay
t/cursor............Identifier "Sybase::CTlib::max" used only once:
possible typo at .././blib/lib/Sybase/CTlib.pm line 880.
Use of uninitialized value at t/cursor.t line 49.
Use of uninitialized value at t/cursor.t line 50.
Use of uninitialized value at t/cursor.t line 51.
Cursors are not available on this SQL Server.
ok
Failed 1 test script, 50.00% okay. 9/52 subtests failed, 82.69% okay.
make[1]: *** [test_static] Error 29
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/perl5/sybperl-2.09_04/CTlib'
make: *** [test] Error 2
[918:root]->

Cursors *are* definitely available on this server. I know, as I've just
finished writing a rather long stored procedure which uses them
extensively. So what gives? Perhaps connecting on a different port has
connected me to a different database? I can check with the DBA on Monday.

Many thanks for your help.
David.
SOL Bors AS.