From: David Carter <david at solbors dot no>
Subject: Re: Network error whilst doing 'make test'
Date: Apr 24 1998 11:16PM

Hi,

> What does your interfaces file look like?

## dbname on A.B.C.D
##       Services:
##              query
##              master

dbname
        query tcp eth0 dbname.domain
        master tcp eth0 dbname.domain

It was like this (for the Sun kit):

## dbname on host.name
##       Services:
##              query   tcp     ()
##              master  tcp     ()

db4
        query tli tcp /dev/tcp \x.......long hex string........
        master tli tcp /dev/tcp \x.......long hex string........

I've tried lots of combinations of the port instead of the \x string, eth0
instead of ether and insck instead of tli. I've also looked around the
'Net for clues and didn't find many. I tried the IP address in the query,
master lines and *yes* that's a TAB char before them both :-) The
username/password is *definitely* correct.

Here is the error:

Login failed.
Open Client Message
Layer 4, Origin 1, Severity 4, Number 44
ct_connect(): protocol specific layer: external error: The attempt to
connect to the server failed.

Where now? :-)

Many thanks for the help so far.
David.