From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at MBAY dot NET>
Subject: sybperl/NT identifier msgs
Date: Apr 18 1998 1:02AM

Barry Ringuet writes:
 >      The code below results in:
 >      C:\perl5>perl -w work\crd3.pl
 >      Identifier "Sybase::CTlib::VERSION" used only once:
 >      possible typo at C:\perl5\lib/DynaLoader.pm line 463.
 >      Identifier "Sybase::CTlib::Version" used only once:
 >      possible typo at C:\perl5\lib/DynaLoader.pm line 463.
 >      Identifier "Sybase::CTlib::Att" used only once:
 >      possible typo at C:\perl5\lib/Sybase/CTlib.pm line 846.

 >      What does "Identifier...(hmmm, hmmm, hmmm)
 >      possible typo..." mean?

That these identifiers are only referenced once (as seen by the perl
interpreter) and it tells you nicely that maybe you've mis-spelled
something. However, in this case it's not you, it's sybperl that sets
a couple of variables internally that you're not using, and perl sees
that, and complains.

This problem has been fixed in the latest version of sybperl (you can
get a binary from CPAN for perl and from Reinoud Van Leeuwen's
homepage for sybperl - there are links from my homepage).

Alternatively, just make sure that you reference the above variables
in your script, even if it's only something like

$Sybase::CTlib::VERSION = $Sybase::CTlib::VERSION;

to shut up the perl interpreter.