From: David Carter <david at solbors dot no>
Subject: RE: single quotes in text datatypes
Date: Apr 17 1998 9:24AM

Hi All,

Many thanks to everyone who responded to my query.

> Use the generic quote operators:
>
> $dbh->dbproc(qq[The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog's tail.]);

This looks cool and is surely comprehensive. I plumped for:

$body =~ s/\'/\'\'/g;

though as we have a intermediate module to DBlib which does get, put and
new SQL and I couldn't figure out how to make it like dbproc. This module
was hanging around before I came here.

I'll figure the last one out though, I'm sure, as I'm going to set up
Sybperl on this Linux box (we've got it set up on Sun kit for our servers)
and write some middleware stuff for Apache. However, I'm trying to install
Sybperl-2.09 now and get this error when doing a 'make test':

PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 ./../perl -I.././blib/arch -I.././blib/lib
-I/usr/lib/perl5/i386-linux/5.00401 -I/usr/lib/perl5 -e 'use Test::Harness
qw(&runtests $verbose); $verbose=0; runtests @ARGV;' t/*.t
t/ctlib.............dubious
        Test returned status 0 (wstat 11)
t/cursor............dubious
        Test returned status 0 (wstat 11)
Undefined subroutine &Test::Harness::WCOREDUMP called at
/usr/lib/perl5/Test/Harness.pm line 219.
make[1]: *** [test_static] Error 11
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/perl5/sybperl-2.09/CTlib'
make: *** [test] Error 2
[1101:root]->

The static ELF version of CTlib in /usr/local/sybase. The platform
is 2.0.32 Redhat Linux, i586.

Many TIA,
David.
SOL Bors.