From: David Carter <david at solbors dot no>
Subject: single quotes in TEXT
Date: Apr 16 1998 3:48PM

Hi,

(I sending this again as I've just changed my domain and had to take
myself off the list and subscribe again. Apologies if this comes out
twice.)

Hope this is an easy one for my first posting:

How do I insert a TEXT datatype containing a '?

Read the FAQ, but didn't find a satisfactory solution (the description for
dbsafestr seems to imply that it will convert ' to "). It's not correct to
say `David"s book`. Besides - it looks wierd. As would `David`s Book`.

Perhaps I should invent a code like &^*$-m, which should
never occur in text, to mean ' :-)

The Que Sybase book I've got says "TEXT and IMAGE" types are the same, yet
our server cries when I try to feed it 0x..... expecting a TEXT type. It
also cries when I try to feed it 'The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy
dog's tail.'

Help!

Many TIA,
David.