From: David Carter <david at solbors dot no>
Subject: single quotes in text datatypes
Date: Apr 16 1998 2:47PM

Hi,

Hope this is an easy one for my first posting:

How do I insert a TEXT datatype containing a '?

Read the FAQ, but didn't find a satisfactory solution (the description for
dbsafestr seems to imply that it will convert ' to "). It's not correct to
say `David"s book`. Besides - it looks wierd. As would `David`s Book`.

Perhaps I should invent a code like &^*$-m, which should
never occur in text, to mean ' :-)

The Que Sybase book I've got says "TEXT and IMAGE" types are the same, yet
our server cries when I try to feed it 0x..... expecting a TEXT type. It
also cries when I try to feed it 'The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy
dog's tail.'

Help!

Many TIA,
David.