From: ZungNguyen <ZungNguyen at aol dot com>
Subject: Re: How to find out when you're killed because of a deadlock?
Date: Apr 9 1998 6:35PM

In a message dated 4/9/98 1:26:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time, dcw@gcm.com
writes:

<< It's my understanding that Sybase NEVER returns fail for deadlocks.
 It also doesn't call the error handler -- only the message handler.

I haven't encountered a deadlock running from Sybperl but we used to get this
error regularly from Sybase 4.9x running from a Powerbuilder app and the error
code is set. I believe it is the return code from dbresults that you have to
check, not the return code from dbsqlexec. We set a retry count and resubmit
the sql up to 5 times before reporting the error so that it's transparent to
the users. You could have your message handler save the error number so you
can check it from the main proc.

Zung