From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at MBAY dot NET>
Subject: Re: Microsfot SQL 7 and Sybperl
Date: Mar 9 1998 11:50PM

Michael Peppler wrote:

> Henrik Edlund wrote:
> >
> > There are rumors that the next version of MS-SQL (version 7) will have
> > changed protocol. It will no longer work with the Sybase protocol.
> > Anyone know if this is true and if it's true, will Sybperl support it or
> > will Sybperl stay Sybase-only?
>
> Sybperl links against the Sybase libraries, so by definition it
> will only support the Sybase protocol, and any common backwards
> compatible subset of the MS version of TDS.

Come to think of it I doubt wether MS has changed the protocol so
that it's not backwards compatible.

The problem in that case would be that you'd have to deploy the new
libraries, etc. to all client machines when you upgrade the server,
and do it simultaneoulsy, otherwise the client apps would break.

I sort of doubt that MS would do something that stupid.