From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at MBAY dot NET>
Subject: Re: Microsfot SQL 7 and Sybperl
Date: Mar 9 1998 6:00PM

Tim Holt wrote:

> I hate to think about moving away from using the Sybperl package.  It's
> never ever let us down.  But, does anyone have a suggested path to use
> one API for Sybase and MS-SQL, where they "talk" differently?  Are we
> talking DBD/DBI here?

Erland Sommarskog has built a version of sybperl that uses the MS
libraries which has the same api (I think) as sybperl (but that runs
on NT - don't know what platform you're on).

Otherwise, to access MS-SQL server from Unix you need to go to ODBC,
which means DBI & DBD::ODBC for perl access. That should work fine,
and you could use DBD::Sybase for the Sybase side. Now I don;t
know how well ODBC supports things like stored procs returning
rows and output params (which I suspect MSSQL still allows) as
I had to do some special processing in DBD::Sybase to allow that, as
well as multiple result set processing per SQL request.

Michael