From: Tim Holt <holt at roguewave dot com>
Subject: RE: Microsfot SQL 7 and Sybperl
Date: Mar 9 1998 5:25PM

This happens to be a pretty important issue for me.  We are currently
"tunneling" in from our external web server to our MS-SQL (6) server
(inside our firewall) to access customer data.  We are doing this by
first, setting up a fake server entry in our Sybase server's interface
file, and then second, doing encrypted port tunneling to get that port
connected to our MS-SQL server's port.  I hope that makes sense.  Then,
we use Sybperl in all of our CGI scripting.  We can use it for
connecting to true local databases on our Sybase server (on our external
web machine), and also to the internal MS-SQL server.  If MS-SQL 7 &
Sybase won't "talk", then our fine little hack won't work anymore.

I hate to think about moving away from using the Sybperl package.  It's
never ever let us down.  But, does anyone have a suggested path to use
one API for Sybase and MS-SQL, where they "talk" differently?  Are we
talking DBD/DBI here?

Tim Holt, Web Software Guy
Rogue Wave Software