From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at MBAY dot NET>
Subject: Re: Microsfot SQL 7 and Sybperl
Date: Mar 9 1998 3:22PM

Henrik Edlund wrote:

> There are rumors that the next version of MS-SQL (version 7) will have
> changed protocol. It will no longer work with the Sybase protocol.
> Anyone know if this is true and if it's true, will Sybperl support it or
> will Sybperl stay Sybase-only?

Sybperl links against the Sybase libraries, so by definition it
will only support the Sybase protocol, and any common backwards
compatible subset of the MS version of TDS.

Changing the protocol in MS-SQL 7.x would be a typical MS thing
to do - you'd need to use the MS tools & libs to use the thing.

I don't remember if the agreement between Sybase and MS states
that the servers *must* understand a common subset of the protocol
(currently the subset is the version of TDS that was used with
MS/Sybase 4.2).