From: philip mikal <philipm at nafohq dot hp dot com>
Subject: text searching
Date: Mar 3 1998 6:51PM

Hello:

This might be slightly off topic...

I have a web site where I allow searching through my Sybase database
via a HTML form and Sybperl.  Currently I have it working by
using "like '%$search_string%'", but I wish to increase the functionality of it
by allowing boolean and/or of the search words and the ability to
ignore case. I believe that I could accomplish the and/or function
by splitting apart the words from the search string and then having
an sql statement for each search word joined with a union. Is this
the best way to do this?  How do I accomplish ignoring case?

Regards,

Philip Mikal
philipm@nafohq.hp.com