From: MichaelPountney at caspian dot com
Subject: Net Security of SybPerl.
Date: Mar 3 1998 3:02PM

We are currently undergoing a project that will involve retrieving
information from our internal Sybase database from the Internet.

Currently, the scripts are executed on the clean side, and the results
sent across the firewall. We want to increase performance however, so
it's planned to move the scripts onto the dirty side of the network to
reduce load on the DB server.

We're unsure whether to use Sybperl or ODBC. What are the security
implications of using Sybperl in such a manner? I've heard of ODBC
proxies to restrict such connections, do similar proxies exist for
Sybperl/OpenClient?

We are running Sybase on Solaris 2.5.1, on the clean side, and NT4.0
with IIS on the dirty side. The firewall is MS-based, using a Cisco to
split the networks.

Thanks in advance,

Mike.
Caspian is not responsible for any securities related recommendation,
solicitation, offer or agreement, or any information about any
transaction contained in this communication.