From: Chuck Griffith <griffch at startribune dot com>
Subject: Re: shared locks and connections
Date: Mar 2 1998 5:12PM

At 5:12 PM -0600 2/27/98, Michael Peppler wrote:
>Well - theoretically as all the programs are doing is 'select's there
>shouldn't be any lock contention at all. The issue is the programs that
>you have that are writing to the same tables, and how they run.

When a select is executed, the server does a shared intent lock on all
the retrieved rows. This means that someone else can read them but not
update or delete them until all the rows are retrieved.

My assumption is that all these locks are released after the last row is
retrieved but we are seeing such strange performance problems that one
has to wonder if it is keeping the locks until the connection is closed.

Chuck Griffith
612-673-4105