From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at MBAY dot NET>
Subject: Re: help with inserting text
Date: Feb 18 1998 9:48PM

cchrysos@ovid.com wrote:

> It looks like Philip forgot to surround the character strings with quotes.
> I believe single quotes will work without confusing Perl.
>
> My example:
>
> $select = "insert into link_table values ('$link_title', '$id',
> '$unique_id', '$link_url', '$link_description')"
>
> Quoting isn't necessary for numeric datatypes like int, float, decimal, and
> so on. So, in this example, if the column for $id is an int, it doesn't
> need quotes.

Note that T-SQL becomes confused if the strings being inserted
(say $link_title) itself contains the ' or " character.

To minimize this problem I usually use the qq() quoting operator
to quote the entire string, and then use " to quote strings in the
insert statement. Any string that is to be inserted that
contains the " character needs to be checked, and the " duplicated, eg

	$link_title =~ s/"/""/g;