From: Jamie Thingelstad <jjt at mail dot ConcertoTech dot com>
Subject: Performance Question
Date: Feb 18 1998 8:19PM

I've just completed writing a data loader using Sybase::DBlib and want
to get more performance out of it. It does an INSERT, UPDATE then a
stored procedure for each line, there are >25,000 lines. This
currently takes 40mins to run and I believe the bottleneck is
Sybase::DBlib or the method I am calling it with since CPU on the
client is low, and the server doesn't have much load at all while this
runs.

The way I am currently doing this is building each statment in a
scalar then using dbcmd, dbsqlexec, dbresults, dbcancel.

Couple of questions:

* Is there a significant performance improvement if I put all commands
in the scalar then loop through Sybase::DBlib executing each one?

* Is there a performance advantage to using Sybase::CTlib over
Sybase::DBlib?

--
Jamie Thingelstad, Sr. VP & CIO (Fax) 612.338.0069 (Voice) 612.338.0049x24
Concerto Technologies   123 North 3rd St. Suite 300, Minneapolis, MN 55401