From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at MBAY dot NET>
Subject: Re: Turning on DateTime use in sybperl 2.09
Date: Feb 12 1998 5:54PM

Guillaume Mallet wrote:

> I tried what you suggested, naturally it worked, so all is fine. Then I
> removed the "$dbh->{UseDateTime} = TRUE;" line from my script, yet it didn't
> yield any error although my next line is as follows : $date =
> $dbh->newdate('Jan 1 1998');

That's a feature :-)

The UseDateTime attribute is looked at when retrieving data
from the database, for example when doing a select getdate(), if
UseDateTime is TRUE then corresponding perl scalar will be a DateTime
object instead of a string:

$dbh->dbcmd("select getdate()");
$dbh->dbsqlexec; $dbh->dbresults;
($date) = $dbh->dbnextrow;
# $date is now a Sybase::DBlib::DateTime object, if UseDateTime is
# true.

This is where there is a serious performance hit, as these objects
have to be created for each row that is retrieved.

However, the newdate() call can always be called, and will
generate a new DateTime object irrespective of the UseDateTime
attribute's setting.

Hope this clarifies the situation...