From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at MBAY dot NET>
Subject: Re: Linux Client Libraries
Date: Feb 9 1998 7:02PM

Tom Poindexter wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 09, 1998 at 08:32:04AM -0800, Michael Peppler wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > A new copy of Linux Client Library has reached me... it includes
> > shared libraries for everything, so it is now possible to build
> > mod_perl + sybperl for linux, as well as building sybperl dynamically
> > on linux.
> >
> > It is available from my web page now, with the same 'no tech support'
> > rules from Sybase.
> >
> > I'd like to thank Bert Vermeulen for getting Sybase to produce this.
>
> Hi Michael,
>
> Do you know much about these libraries?  The dates on the lib files are
> 'Feb 18  1996', which date even before the Linux ELF (.a) files
> that Scott Gray has on his page:  http://www.voicenet.com/~gray/sqsh_loc.html
> (Scott credits Greg Thain for this adaptation.)

These libs were obtained from Sybase tech support by a fellow in
the Netherlands. The difference with the original libs is that they
are built with PIC, so that they can be used to build dynamically
loaded modules. The original libs from Sybase were a.out, which
were converted to ELF by Greg Thain.

> Sybase makes no mention of this lib on their WWW site:

I know - but there is a growing interest from people within Sybase to
try this again - and of course there's quite a few people outside
of Sybase who would REALLY like to see this happen!

However everyone should remember that the Linux port (whichever
version you use) is NOT SUPPORTED by Sybase, so you use it
at your own risk.