From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at MBAY dot NET>
Subject: Re: wait time on ctlib calls
Date: Feb 9 1998 3:49PM

Chuck Griffith wrote:

> When issuing a select using sybperl/ctlib I am seeing a situation where the
> cpu time is larger on some sql calls than others even tho the number of rows
> that are returned is the same or sometimes even lower. I do nothing between
> the fetch calls that would slow the process of retrieving the rows.
>
> That leads me to wonder, does sybperl/ctlib do a 'blocking' call to
> sybase or does it have to poll the socket to determine if data is coming
> back?

Sybperl simply calls the CTlib calls, as provided by Sybase for your
platform.

As far as I know, the CTlib calls are all blocking, unless you
use the asynchronous calls (which Sybperl does not support [yet]).

So I doubt very much that the different times you are seeing are the
results of a polling loop (I'm not sure *what* it is, though)