From: Gregory Sawyer <gsawyer at gage dot com>
Subject: BCP Error handling
Date: Feb 6 1998 11:52PM

I have a question concerning BCP error handling.  I'm using the DBlib BCP
routines to copy data into a table, and I'm getting data conversion errors:

SYBASE MSG:  Attempt to convert data stopped by syntax error in source field.
SYBASE MSG:  Data-conversion resulted in overflow.
SYBASE MSG:  Unknown variable-length datatype encountered.

My problem is this:  My source data has 53 columns, and I have no idea which
of the 53 are generating these conditions.  (And I'm really, really
interested in that last one because I've never seen that before.)  The BCP
utility itself, when you specify an error file, will tell you what column
generated the error in the error file, but how do you get that information
from the API?

Thanks,

--Gregory D. Sawyer
Lead Programmer / Data Analyst -- Strategic Data Services
Gage Marketing Group